Breakie – UI Library
Breakie is an app to help the locals and tourists to browse through a curated selection of breakfast/brunch restaurants in Vancouver. This was a solo and the second project at Red Academy.
I was assigned to create an engaging, impactful and well-designed UI Library for this app and a high fidelity prototype.
Project: UI Library for an Android app
Tools: Hand-drawings, Photoshop, Sketch, InVision, and Google Slides
Target Device: iPhone
Timeline: 1 week
Research - Find a key
I was given primary keywords for the app which were foodies, weekend, brunch, sunny side up, mimosas and so on. I started to research Vancouver’s food scene and the millennials. I focused on following key points:
- Food trends in Vancouver
- Popular restaurants among the millennials
- Google keyword search statistics about breakfast restaurants in Vancouver
- The characteristics of the millennials
- The millennials’ typical lifestyle
I have learnt the following points from the research:
- Vancouver is the west coast foodie heaven in Canada.
- The coffee shops/breakfast restaurants that have good reputations are really scattered around downtown Vancouver.
- Vancouver leans toward lighter, seafood-focused fare. It’s a healthier lifestyle, which extends to the food.
- Crossover is another right keyword. Not only East meets West, but also local with a cultural mash-up of cuisines, e.g. Japanese-Italian cuisine, Aburi-style sushi, native spot prawns, elk salami with juniper berries, or canned sea lion — anything.
- 90% of the millennials use smartphones.
- They are exercising more, eating healthier, smoking less, and getting a better education.
- 50% of them search local businesses on their smartphones.
- 75% of them choose experience over a product.
- They are rebel.
The main pain point was that it would be hard to explore the hidden-gem restaurants in Vancouver especially when you are a tourist.
Ideation - Unlock
In this phase, I set two art directions.
The adjectives of the theme Bohemian were cosy and comfortable yet hip giving pleasant and welcoming feelings. The theme Rebel conveyed the millennials’ mentality – Independent and free.
From a UI perspective, I wanted to create an atypical design on the theme Rebel and a fresh and pleasant design by using bright colours on the theme Bohemian.
The two images shown in the section above (Theme Bohemian) and as a background in this section (Theme Rebel) are the mood boards.
Design - Cast a spell
Iteration - Tweak
Tweaks to be done:
- Re-design logos
- Fix kerning